Apply for admission

Students with disabilities

Unisa provides equal opportunities for all students. The university respects the rights of students to disclose or not disclose any disability.

The following questions and answers will give you a better idea of what to expect as a student with a disability.

Application and registration

I have a disability. Can I study at Unisa? Is it compulsory to disclose my disability? What happens if I do not disclose my disability?

Yes, you can study at Unisa. We are committed to helping all students achieve their ambitions. People with disabilities wanting to study through Unisa must apply and register for their qualification of choice (please take note of the admission requirements). We provide assistance throughout the administrative processes.

The university respects the rights of people with disabilities to disclose or not disclose the nature of their disability. If you chose not to disclose your disability, you may miss greatly on certain services and support offered to students requiring extra support.

Study material and prescribed books

I have a disability which requires alternative study material. How can I access the study material in an alternative format?

Unisa produces study material in alternative formats to cater for the diverse needs of students with disabilities. Alternative formats include Braille, large print, audio, electronic and DAISY. You will be given the option at the point of registration to choose study material that suits your needs. If your disability does not require alternative study material, you will access material in the normal format and on myUnisa.

We also request electronic copies of prescribed books, on behalf of students, from national and international publishers.


How does Unisa conduct examinations for students with disabilities?

Unisa make use of Multi-Purpose Centres at the Unisa's Regional Offices to conduct examinations on special request. Extra time may be added based on a doctor’s recommendation. Students can also write their examinations in alternative formats.

Other services offered

What other services can I access as a student with a disability?

If you have a hearing impairment, Unisa provides sign language interpretation services during career counselling, tutorial classes, examinations, graduations, and so on. Please make an appointment with the sign language interpreter.

Unisa has dedicated Multi-Purpose Centres at Unisa’s Regional Centres, equipped with access to technology, to accommodate students with disabilities during their learning experience.

Unisa accepts assignments in an alternative formats.

Unisa provides disability training and awareness programmes to staff and students.

Contact us

For more information on services and support offered to students with disabilities, Unisa has a dedicated office, the Advocacy and resource centre for students with disabilities (ARCSWiD).


Tel: +27 12 429 6923 / 6924 / 6540 / 3829 / 8668 / 6050 / 2607 or +27 12 441 5470 / 5471

Last modified: 2020/08/26