Research ethics

Research Permissions

Research ethics approval certificate alone does not grant permission to involve Unisa employees, students, and data in research. All research that involves Unisa employees and students as participants or want to study data at Unisa, must apply for permission from the Research Permission Subcommittee (RPC) of the Senate Research, Innovation, Postgraduate degrees and Commercialisation Committee (SRIPCC).

External applicants who wish to involve Unisa employees, students and data in research, must first obtain ethics approval certificate from their university/institution and then apply for ethics approval certificate from URERC. After obtaining the Unisa ethics approval certificate approval, it is then that they may apply to the RPSC for permission to involve Unisa employees, students and data in their research projects. The RPC meets once every month. All non-Unisa (external) researchers, Unisa employees registered for postgraduate qualifications at other universities, interested in research permission applications may contact us at

Last modified: 2023/08/31